Some useful instructions on how to transport a press.
Points to note:
- the press weighs: 2,500 lbs give or take a few hundred - make sure the tail lift is rated for this
- forklifts jostle and bump around so try to avoid
- cast iron is fragile
- tie down with ratchet straps
- close platen, fix flywheel so it doesn't spin
- make sure trailor/cabin has tie down points to stop press from skidding around.
- I think it needs to go on a pallet
Some of the key points were: dont use a fork lift, dont use a tail lift truck - both things that I need to use with transporting across the country.
Am going to post on Briar Press forum http://www.briarpress.org/ and ask for advice on transporting across the country rather than DIY transport as this (DIY) is what most of the information is about.
Blind faith...dont fail me now...